Italian gymnast Asia D’Amato, already titled in the individual and team all-around competition, became vice-champion of Europe in the jump on Sunday by injuring herself in Munich.
The ankle of the 19-year-old Genoese gave way when she landed her jump. Evacuated to the hospital, she could not receive her medal, given to a member of the Italian team’s management.
“The X-ray revealed an undisplaced fracture of the tip of the external malleolus of the right foot,” the Italian Federation said in a statement.
In the absence of the Russians, who were shut out due to the invasion of Ukraine, Italy piled up four medals in the apparatus finals.
Carried by a full and boiling Olympiahalle, the Germans, Elisabeth Seitz, on the uneven bars, and Emma Leonie Malewski, on the beam, won their first European title.
The podiums of the women’s apparatus finals of the European Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Munich on Sunday:
1. Zsofia Kovacs (HUN) 13,933
2. Asia D’Amato (ITA) 13,716
3. Aline Friess (FRA) 13,599
Uneven bars podium:
1. Elisabeth Seitz (GER) 14,433
2. Alice D’Amato (ITA) 14,400
3. Lorette Charpy (FRA) 14.166
1. Emma Leonie Malewski (GER) 13,466
2. Ondine Achampong (GBR) 13,400
3. Carolann Héduit (FRA) 13,400
1. Jessica Gadirova (GBR) 14,000
2. Martina Maggio (ITA) 13.933
3. Angela Andreoli (ITA) 13.866