how to get the residence permit

France is the preferred destination and choice for many foreign students wishing to pursue their higher education. But beyond their studies, many students want to settle longer, or even permanently in this European country.

For this, the person concerned must first have a residence permit, before proceeding with the other steps in order to obtain French nationality. A situation that prompts us to ask the question: how can one obtain a residence permit as a foreign student?

Indeed, you should know that first and foremost, the long-stay visa is a mandatory condition for the issuance of the residence permit. Therefore, the foreign student can only obtain his residence permit if he has a long-stay visa affixed to his passport.

Residence permit for foreign student: what conditions?

According to the site of the French public service, any foreign student wishing to study in France must first apply for a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS) mention student, valid for 4 to 12 months.

The same source points out that after one year, the person concerned can request ” a temporary ‘student (valid for 1 year)’ or multi-annual ‘student (valid for 2 to 4 years)’ residence permit “. “ You are subject to means testing. In some cases, the residence permit can be issued to you automatically “, also explains the source.

To obtain a residence permit, certain conditions must be met. The conditions for accessing it are relatively simple compared to the salaried residence permit, for example, because it is one of the most widely issued residence permits in France.

Indeed, the person concerned must be registered or pre-registered in a public or private establishment of higher education or initial training (university, Grande Ecole, IUT, BTS, etc.).

The latter must also demonstrate sufficient financial resources (he must have at least 615 euros per month) and accommodation in France. If these conditions are met, the foreign student can obtain a long-stay visa from the consular authorities, and thus apply for a residence permit upon arrival in France.

Leave a Comment