Two late goals qualify CF Montreal for the playoffs

A win or a draw was enough to officially print CF’s ticket to the MLS playoffs. This tie will have been obtained in spades for the Montrealers who drew a 2-2 tie in stoppage time, in an extraordinary atmosphere.

Zachary Brault-Guillard will have scored the exclamation point that confirms his team’s return to the playoffs for the first time since 2016.

At the final whistle, the players were warmly applauded by the cheering crowd as they toured the pitch.

We spare you the calculations, since our math 536 is far away. We also spare you the discussions with the desk editor of Radio-Canada Sports who doubted the author of his lines, it is one of the foundations of journalism to doubt, but these two results were enough.

However, this draw in extremis of 2-2 came to confirm that we had not poked all these figures on our calculator for nothing. Plus, it’s always nice to chat with the chef.

If Montreal could ensure a first presence in the real playoff tournament since 2016, the visitors had their own agenda and their own source of motivation. Both teams put on a great show.

The players from Ohio, who have now lost only once in their last 17 games, wanted nothing to do with playing extras like in the old days at wrestling. It’s not just Montreal that is interested in the MLS Cup.

Everything was going well until the 66th minute when Jonathan Mensah scored the first goal of the evening. He deftly redirected a free kick with a header to thwart James Pantemis to his left.

Then, even before the in-house announcer did his job over the loud speakers at Saputo Stadium, Lucas Zelarayan reminded everyone that it wouldn’t be easy, even in soccer.

In the 68th minute, the Argentinian’s shot was blocked by teammate Cucho at the entrance to the penalty area, but the attacking midfielder hit the ball again in midair to score.

At 11 against 10 for the last quarter of an hour, after the red card awarded to Luis Diaz for a kick to Kei Kamara, CF Montreal logically monopolized the white globe. Driven by a noisy and invested public, the locals finally managed to score in the 89th minute.

Matko Miljevic’s shot deflected off captain Victor Wanyama’s head, opening a first breach in the visitors’ hitherto impermeable defence.

Goalkeeper James Pantemis was named player of the game. The Quebecer multiplied the spectacular saves to keep the column of goals conceded immaculate.

From the 8th minute, he dived to frustrate Cucho. Three minutes later, another parade to his left in front of the same scabby Cucho.

Then, in the 15th minute, Pantemis won on a header from defender Jonathan Mensah.

The locals also had several good chances to score. In the 17th minute, Romell Quioto’s shot hit the side netting and, above all, hit the work tool of a cameraman who may be on the phone with his insurer at the time of writing this text.

Kamal Miller also threatened the opposing fortress with a header in the 35th minute, while Djordje Mihailovic was frustrated twice rather than once in the last minutes of the half.

At the start of the second half, Djordje Mihailovic thought he had unblocked their score, but his header, hit inside the six meters, ended his trajectory in the goalkeeper’s gloves.

The Montrealers will play their next game on Tuesday night in Chicago.

Further details will follow.

Leave a Comment